The original title of this post was going to be, “Why I hate Taylor Swift and Adele.”
Now, it’s “Why I hate Taylor Swift, and why I’m Jealous of Adele.”
There are plenty of reasons why I hate Taylor Swift:
- I’m not trying to be a hipster or anything, but she’s extremely popular. I don’t mind listening to mainstream music if it’s good. In all honesty, a lot of the music I listen to is mainstream. Her songs, however, are horrid. “Having a bad day? There’s a Taylor Swift song for that.” ß This is an actual group on Facebook. I believe these are the people who post the same Taylor Swift songs as their status. Shame.
- Are all of her songs about love or heartbreak? It’s 2012. Let’s sing about something different.
- Her “country” songs are pop. Not country. If you’d like to listen to female country singers, try Loretta Lynn, The Judds, June Carter and/or Dolly Parton.
- Now, I’m not going to lie and say how much I love Loretta, June, The Judds and Dolly. I really don’t know anything about them, except for many would consider their music “legit country” and not “pop”. I’m only familiar with The Judds because my grandmother likes them. I love Johnny Cash, but I never have I ever listened to June. I love “Jolene” by Dolly Parton, but I like the White Stripes cover a lot better. My boss at my high school job loved Loretta Lynn.
- ^ I just felt the need to clear things up.
Now, I don’t need to outline why I’m jealous of Adele. I’m jealous because her voice is amazing! I sing, but I sing badly. My southern accent is heightened when I sing. I know if I could sing like Adele, I’d be somewhat famous and less insecure.
But, I can’t. So, I don’t like her. I will admit that I am a hater.
Also, like Taylor, her songs (at least the ones that I’m aware of) are all about love and heartbreak! In addition, I here this a lot: “Adele is real. Her music is real. She’s so different.” ßNo, she’s not. She’s just like Taylor, except with a soulful, melodic voice.
Dave Grohl is one of many celebrities who liked her album, saying it was an “incredible record.” This saddened me.
If Adele and Taylor Swift are original, I’d like for someone to explain this to me.
Until then, I will not listen to either.